Friday, October 2, 2009

The Kite

I used to be a go go go Christian. I was on "fire". Doing everything I humanly could and making winning every debate with Christian and non-Christian alike a priority. I was a loose rocket. Shooting up with each new retreat or good sermon and I would come crashing down just as fast. After a while the initial exhilaration of shooting skywards was no longer worth the inevitable, so I became grounded; I cut off my own fuse. Even if there was powerful worship going on or I listened to an inspiring sermon, I was a rocket that was tired of crashing and was angry at Papa for taking me so high just to let me crash. See the things is, Papa doesn't want rockets he wants kites.

Kites go high and stay high; they navigate the wind with alacrity. A kite is only going to achieve this feat by remaining grounded to the string of One carefully steering it through the skies. I didn't know His Love or His Grace before. To get "high", I did everything I could to "ignite" myself. The world tells us to be self starters. I now go higher than ever before and stay there, peaceful and graceful like a colorful kite, grounded and lovingly limited by the grounding power of His Love and Grace. He knows how high we can go at any given moment. He doesn't want self starting rockets, He wants humble and colorful kites.

Philippians 3:16

Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

4 comments:

Terrence said...

that's beautiful. do you want to sing a duet on thursday?
t

Christian said...

Thanks :)

What did you have in mind?

Joyful-Nomad said...

love this post

vince liang said...

good stuff brother.